Monday, July 15, 2013

Author Interview: Don Richardson

Today we have an interview with Rivershore Books' author, Don Richardson, with a focus on his first book, Spiritual Invented Creation. His second, Scripts to Recovery, was published earlier this month.

What are the names of your books?

Spiritual Invented Creation and Scripts to Recovery.

Can you give a short summary of your book?

My book is about seven years of my life that defined who I am today. How I’ve survived cancer, additions, family deaths and tragedies, and witnessing my best friend’s death. 

What genre is your book?
Autobiography.

Who is your book’s audience?
I believe the book is for anyone who is in a hopeless place. It’s for anyone who needs help. It’s for people who can relate to all or any of what I’ve gone through. It’s for people who need motivation to stand and fight for their life and who they are in God.

What first inspired your book?

Not to sound cliché, but God. He’s given me a testimony that has taken me to many places most people don’t know how to deal with. I didn’t write the book for my own fame and fortune, but for God’s hope and truth.

How long have you been writing, and why did you start?

I wrote on and off since about the age of 10. I started writing seriously a little over three years ago (January 2010). When I started writing seriously I was in the midst of quitting drinking. I went from drinking and running away to writing, which taught me to face problems head on. I rarely saw any clear answers, but venting was my newfound freedom.

Where do you write most often?

In my room at my desk with a bright light on, computer on, piles of new paper near, and a box with dozens of pens nearby.

What are your ‘author quirks’?

My quirks probably include too many pens and way too much paper. I know that I’ll use them all and work on it every day, but I like having an arsenal of both. Also, I always have a pen and paper on me wherever I go. If I don’t, I feel naked.

What advice do you have for other authors?

Write any and everything that’s on your mind and heart. Write if you think it’s good or bad. Write for yourself, if you’re angry then write angry, if you’re sad then write sad. There are no rules, no laws, no rhyme, and no reason.

What do you do when you lack motivation?

When I lack motivation I take a break from it, I’ve forced poems and writings before, and am never happy with them. When I get writer’s block I accept it, and realize it’s just a part of being a writer.

What do you most want your readers to know?

I wrote this book to show God’s love, grace, and hope that He has in His children. Also, I personally wrote the book for myself, to sum up several years of pain in a written testimony so I could see the unwritten chapters I have left to live, and books I have left to write.

And finally, where can we find your books?

Warning: Scripts to Recovery contains swearing.

Create Space:


Rivershore Books:

Spiritual Invented Creation is also available in the bookstore at North Heights Lutheran Church, Arden Hills campus.

No comments: