Monday, May 13, 2013

Author Interview: Shalight Saja

You may recognize Purple Eyes as one of our latest published books. Today, we have an interview with the author!

What is the name of your book? 

My book is called Purple Eyes.


Can you give a short (one to three sentence) summary of your book? 

Purple Eyes is a collection of poetry that I wrote as I started the healing process after six years of abuse. It is a diary of sorts chronicling the early stages of my journey toward defining myself by who I want to be rather than by what has happened to me.

What genre is your book? Poetry, fiction, nonfiction…?

My book is subtitled "a biography in poetry," and that's the best way I know to say it.

Who is your book’s audience?

I pray that this book could be helpful for those who have had a friend or loved one experience any kind of abuse. It may provide some clarity or insight as to possible repercussions of abuse. Even more specifically, I pray that it might be a companion to those struggling with these repercussions themselves; that it might be a reminder to survivors that they are not alone.

What first inspired your book?

I realized that I had a story that was not specific to me. I knew that I wanted to find others and struggle through with them. Publishing a book from the poems I had written seemed like a part of the natural progression toward that goal.

How long have you been writing, and why did you start?

I started when I was twelve, but my writing habit really took off when I turned sixteen. In coping with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, I would write at night when I could not sleep because of nightmares. Eventually, I realized that writing helped me process my thoughts most effectively. So I kept going.

Where do you write most often?

I write wherever I feel most comfortable, which generally ends up being on my floor or outside.

What are your ‘author quirks’?

It's very difficult for me to compose on a computer. I have to write with a black or purple pen on paper, and then copy it onto the computer by typing it.

What advice do you have for other authors?

Don't let anyone stop you, especially yourself.

What do you do when you lack motivation?

I go outside to be in nature, or Google inspirational quotes. Listening to music is a common practice of mine as well.

What do you most want your readers to know?

That they are not alone.

And finally, where can we find your book?

Purple Eyes is available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. You're also welcome to visit my blog.

No comments: