Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Grammar Day: Ampersand

Grammar is a tricky subject. With all the rules and exceptions, how can a person keep track? I can't answer that, but I can help with little pieces here and there.

Today's Topic: The Ampersand

Sometimes it seems like every punctuation mark is "one of my favorites," yet I'm entirely sincere. Today's favorite is the ampersand (an unnecessarily fancy term for &).

In my journal writing and notes to friends, I love using this symbol in place of "and" or "etc." (&c.). As an Austen fan, I read several of her letters and noticed the way she used & throughout. I suppose doing the same gives me a sense of connection.

Unfortunately, using it the way Austen and I like to isn't considered "proper."

When can this beautiful symbol be used? When it's part of a title or name (i.e., Rogers & Hammerstein). That's it.

Any Exceptions? Sadly, no. I shall have to be content with using it in private communication...and on Twitter.

I love to learn; let me know what I'm forgetting!

Have a grammatical question? Email me at Jansina@rivershorebooks.com to learn the answer--and have your question featured in an upcoming Grammar Day post! I'm here to help and encourage in any way I can.

Visit my website to learn more about me, my books, and my proofreading services, or join the Rivershore Books Writing Forum for support from fellow authors.

Still want more? Find me on FacebookPinterestTumblr, and Twitter!

No comments: