Friday, March 22, 2013

Grammar Day: Less vs. Fewer

Grammar is a tricky subject. With all the rules and exceptions, how can a person keep track? I can't answer that, but I can help with little pieces here and there.


Today's Topic: Less vs. Fewer

Basic Rule: If you can count it, use the word fewer.

I had fewer apples than you did. 
I ate less than he did. 
Any Exceptions? Sometimes things that use the word fewer don't have a specific number (so it isn't as obvious that they can be counted).
You had fewer distractions.
She was less distracting.
I love to learn; let me know what I'm forgetting!

Have a grammatical question? Email me at Jansina@rivershorebooks.com to learn the answer--and have your question featured in an upcoming Grammar Day post! I'm here to help and encourage in any way I can.

Visit my website to learn more about me, my books, and my proofreading services, or join the Rivershore Books Writing Forum for support from fellow authors.

Still want more? Find me on FacebookPinterestTumblr, and Twitter!

No comments: