Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Book Review: Reasons My Kid Is Crying


Reasons My Kid Is Crying by Greg Pembroke


About a year ago, I came across Greg Pembroke's blog (Reasons My Kid Is Crying) and was hooked. For those who enjoy the blog, if you come to the book knowing it will be much of the same, it won't disappoint. It has many of the same images and reasons as on the blog. There still are some I hadn't seen - that could be because I don't regularly read the blog, or it could be because they're new. I also appreciated the "Reasons I'm Crying" sections, which have more amusings situations the author has found himself in.

The book is very short - I finished reading it in about a half hour - but it's also very fun. I'll read it again, and I'm looking forward to sharing it with friends.

For a paperback book, it's surprisingly good quality. The pages are glossy and feel like those in a magazine, though they would (like a magazine) be easily ripped.

There were a couple pages where the light background mixed with the white text and made it difficult to read. For the most part, that wasn't an issue, but I would have chosen a darker background or black text on those (pages 15, 107, and 134).

At the back of the book, there are blank picture frames with the intent to include your own photos and reasons. I like the idea behind them, but in practice I'm not sure it works. I haven't tried, but I imagine it would be difficult to attach a photo (double-sided tape, perhaps?) and find a pen that would write well on the glossy paper.

I'm not a parent, but I do spend time with kids whenever I can and I've seen a few meltdowns. The pictures and reasons in the book and on the blog are funny and accurate. This would make a great gift for a parent, aunt or uncle, or anyone who loves kids.

The ebook probably isn't worth the investment, since much of it can be found on the blog. The paperback version is nice to have, though, and will make a great conversation piece for my coffee table.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

To Learn More...

No comments: