Friday, September 14, 2012

Grammar Day: And & But


Grammar is a tricky subject. With all the rules and exceptions, how can a person keep track? I can't answer that, but I can help with little pieces here and there.

Today's Topic: Starting Sentences with And & But



This is one of my grammatical weaknesses. Beginning a sentence with 'and' or 'but' is so easy to do! It's not technically improper...but it is a personal preference of many grammar enthusiasts.

Why is it wrong? Well--it's not. Here's why it's preferred, though! These words are conjunctions, which mean they connect the first part of a sentence to the second. In other words, they belong in the middle.

For your viewing pleasure...



Final Note: Usually, a sentence can be fixed by combining it with the preceding sentence, or simply by omitting the word.
They didn't want to go. But they said they would anyway.
They didn't want to go, but they said they would anyway.  
And We liked the last performance.
When the sentence really needs a starting word, consider replacing the word with something like 'although' or 'however'; 'also' or 'in addition'.
And In addition, she said she would do it again.
But However, it wasn't his favorite. 
I love to learn; let me know what I'm forgetting!

Have a grammatical question? Email me at Jansina@rivershorebooks.com to learn the answer--and have your question featured in an upcoming Grammar Day post! I'm here to help and encourage in any way I can.

Visit my website to learn more about me, my books, and my proofreading services, or join the Rivershore Books Writing Forum for support from fellow authors.

Still want more? Find me on FacebookPinterestTumblr, and Twitter!

No comments: