Friday, September 7, 2012

Grammar Day: Except vs. Accept

Grammar is a tricky subject. With all the rules and exceptions, how can a person keep track? I can't answer that, but I can help with little pieces here and there.

Today's Topic: Except vs. Accept

These two words may sound similar when spoken, but they mean very different things.

Definitions: 


Except: This word is used when there is an exception of some sort. It can be though of as a more specific word for 'but'.
Everyone, except your cranky uncle, is welcome. 
It was fun, except the music was too loud.
Accept: While the above word can sometimes be seen as exclusive (consider the first example), this can be seen as inclusive.
We gladly accept you into our club.
It is also a word to show resignation.
He chose to accept his fate.
Final Note: If you have difficulty remembering which to use, replace the word with 'welcome'.
She had to [welcome] the stranger.
This works, so we'd use 'accept'.
They liked it all, [welcome] the ending.
Huh? The word here is 'except'. 

Welcome is a bit more cheerful a word than accept is, but this will help when deciding which you intend.

I love to learn; let me know what I'm forgetting!

Have a grammatical question? Email me at Jansina@rivershorebooks.com to learn the answer--and have your question featured in an upcoming Grammar Day post! I'm here to help and encourage in any way I can.

Visit my website to learn more about me, my books, and my proofreading services, or join the Rivershore Books Writing Forum for support from fellow authors.

Still want more? Find me on FacebookPinterestTumblr, and Twitter!

No comments: